Sunday, June 11, 2017

CLOSURE

I never thought I needed closure to a place that gave me (and my entire family) a lot of fears and doubts in life. I didn’t realize that until I was in that very same place, eleven years later. Prior to going there, I was already feeling a lot of things altogether. I was so close to cancelling the trip at the last minute but later on I realized that I have to do it, once and for all.

It was a business trip, but after all the affairs I needed to attend to, I went to see a friend that I haven’t seen for the last eleven years. We were still young girls when we last saw each other and now, she has a family of her own already. Before meeting her, I went to visit Nuestra SeƱora Virgen de Regla Parish Church. This church has played a big role for my family when we were still living in Lapu-Lapu City. My parents used to be street vendors, just right next to the church and I used to help them there after school, every day.

For a year and couple of months of living in that city, I saw how my parents struggled. It was tough. I can’t believe we survived that time of our lives.


The moment I was in the very street where we used to sell drinks and other snacks eleven years ago, I was already teary-eyed. Everything came back to me and I remember everything as if it all happened yesterday.  Every argument my parents had, running away from the police (because selling next to the church wasn’t allowed), moving from one house to another… every struggle was so hard to recall.

I went inside the church to pay my respects, lit candles and prayed for my family’s peace and wellness. After that, it felt like a huge load was lifted from my chest. I felt so light and so ready to face new challenges in life.

Things may have been tough for me and my family for years, and this time around things are still not easy for us since my parents chose to not get involved with each other anymore. But one thing I realized, I won’t be this strong today if all those things didn’t happened. I won’t be able to take care of my siblings today if I didn’t go through those hardships, and for that I am thankful. I am thankful for the strength, wisdom, compassion, and all the love that I have gained all throughout the years.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...